Fall has FINALLY arrived in Wilmington and even though we’re all going to miss racing to the beach after class, autumn has a lot in store for us… Especially Halloween! Just because we’re “grown-ups” now doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate with the rest of them! Whether you live for thrills or prefer a quiet night in carving pumpkins, here’s are 5 Halloween-inspired activities to try out this season:
1. Harvest Arts Fest: Dozens of local vendors and artists will set up at Tidal Creek Food Market on October 21st. It’s always great to support local artisans and this is the perfect way to do so! Additionally, there will be entertainment from local musicians Laura McLean and Broccoli Brothers Circus. To top it all off, there will be a silent auction at the end of the event with all of the proceeds going towards a Reverse Osmosis filtration machine that will be placed at DREAMS Center for Arts Education. Shopping, supporting local, live music and a great cause? Sounds like a good time to me!
2. Phobia Haunted Trail: CarnEvil in the Woods: Another spooky adventure can be found at Phobia Trails off of Shipyard Blvd. This years theme is clowns- you’ve been warned! Grab a few friends and stroll through the woods as creepy actors with eerily realistic makeup do everything they can to make you have nightmares for the rest of the year!
3. Mikes’ Farm: Not into the scary stuff? Don’t worry- you’re not alone! If you’re willing to make a bit of a drive, Mike’s Farm in Onslow County is the place for you. Offering classic hayrides leading to a large pumpkin patch; Mike’s is just right for a festive date, or day out with friends!
4. Crawl-o-Ween: For our 21+ readers, Hell’s Kitchen hosts an awesome Halloween bar crawl that goes around Downtown Wilmington! Don’t forget to wear your most creative costume- you just might win a prize! Best of all, the crawl benefits Nourish NC, which is a local organization that provides children in need with healthy food choices and helps them to succeed in the classroom and throughout the community.
5. Not in the mood for an expensive adventure? We are college students on a budget after all. There are countless trails in Wilmington that will be stunning as the leaves continue to change! Grab your pup and your headphones, relax, and take in the beautiful sight of fall at the Dub. Top the day off with your fave Halloween movie and some warm apple cider!
Whether or not you’re a “Halloween person,” autumn in Wilmington is breathtakingly beautiful and full of countless activities and adventures just waiting to be had! Wishing everyone a safe, fun, and candy-filled upcoming holiday!